Short-term rentals are offered in Portugal through Airbnb. However, there are several restrictions and regulations that must be followed when renting your property. In this tutorial, you’ll learn about the registration process as well as other important details of short-term rental operations. You’ll also learn how to obtain your short-term rental license (Licença de Alojamento Local) and run short term rental operation in Portugal.
You must apply for a license to operate as an Alojamento Local before renting out your house as a short-term rental in Portugal (short-term rental). You will be able to register your property as a touristic rental accommodation with the local town council in this manner (Camara). The Decree-Law no. 128/2014, as revised by Decree-Law number. 63/2015, has been in effect since 2014. The Local Lodging Regime is what it’s called (Alojamento Local Regime).
You can register on your Airbnb listing by using the registration number you received from the Portal do Cidado (Citizen Portal). You may also be excluded from having to register. You register in this circumstance by stating that you are exempt from registration.
Each and every short-term rental property must be registered. In Portugal, these homes are known as “Alojamento Local.” They can be a house, an apartment, or a lodging establishment, such as a hostel or a dormitory. The final service they give is temporary housing in exchange for a set fee.
Furthermore, the Alojamento Local regulation presumes that an Alojamento Local occurs when a building or a portion of it is displayed and made available as a tourist or short-term rental lodging. It occurs when they are advertised on the internet or by travel agents. For a time of fewer than 30 days, or when the property is furnished and equipped, it provides additional services such as cleaning or a reception desk.
What is the Procedure for Registering?
You must either apply for a new license, add a license to an existing one, or seek an exemption.
The steps are as follows:
- Go to airbnb.com and click on your listings.
- In Portugal, click on your listing.
- Go to the top of the website and click “Register.”
- Register by following the instructions and hitting the “Submit” button.
- Keep in mind that you must repeat this procedure for all of your listings in Portugal.
If you’ve previously registered, you’ll need to follow the procedures above to add your current permit number to your account. Unless your listing or registration data change, you do not need to renew your registration. If something changes, you must tell the Portuguese authorities within ten days. Similarly, make sure that your Airbnb listing is up to date.
It’s also worth noting that the registration process is completely free.
Required Documents For Portugal Short Term Rentals Operations
The following documents/information must be sent to the authorities:
- The owner/person responsible for the activity’s name, address, and Portuguese tax identification number (NIF).
- The activity’s start date.
- The property’s capability (rooms, beds, and users).
- A valid permission to utilize the property.
- Emergency contact information.
- The establishment’s name as well as its address.
- Passport/ID, as well as business documents
- A document from the land registration.
- A signed statement declaring that your property is acceptable for use as an Alojamento Local.
- A lease agreement, deeds, or other documentation granting you the right to rent your home.
- CAE 55201 or 552014, Declaration of Tax Activity (Declaraço de Inicio de Atividade).
Rentals for a Brief Period of Time
For a property to be considered an Alojamento Local establishment, the rules do not stipulate a minimum or a maximum number of nights.
This process may be tough for you to handle, especially if you are unfamiliar with it and do not speak Portuguese. Given the numerous issues to be aware of, hiring a lawyer or a management business may be a better alternative. You can save time and ensure that the process is done correctly this way. This work usually costs roughly €600-800 in total.
At GlobalRCG, we help individuals and families achieve a higher quality of life and greater financial security through a second residence, relocation, citizenship, and passport programs. We take the hassle out of the process and provide peace of mind. To check your eligibility for Portugal Golden Visa, submit our assessment form today!